Saturday, March 9, 2013

Another Funny Taxi Story

Today I went to see Les Miserable with two fabulous girlfriends.  It's the first time I've seen it on the big screen and it was an amazing, beautiful, and emotional experience.  However, this blog post is not about the movie.  This blog post is about how we got to the movie and then how we back home from the movie.
This afternoon my friend, Amy, and I grabbed a taxi outside of our complex to get into town.  We were meeting our friend, Karen, at the theater.  Our taxi driver was very nice and started to talk to us a bit.  However with two introverts in the back seat, we didn't get so far in that conversation.  However, he did ask us what country we were from.  When we told him, he proudly proclaimed "Obama!"  I think it is funny that Chinese people seem to be more proud of America's president than we are...but that has nothing to do with anything in this post.
We made it to the theater somewhat slowly...rather odd for a taxi driver..usually they drive like maniac race car drivers.  As the movie started and I spent time with two such great friends, I completely forgot about our taxi driver. 
After our movie, Amy had a date with her husband so Karen and I grabbed a taxi home together (yes, I ride in tons of taxis).  Because she gets car sick, Karen rode in the front with the driver and I am SO glad that she did.  The taxi driver was completely enamored with Karen the entire ride home.  He laid on the flirting nice and thick and barely acknowledge that I was in the back seat at all.  His world was centered around my beautiful friend in the front seat.  At one point he asked where we were from.  Karen replied, "Meiguo" (America).  He proudly proclaimed "Obama!"  All I could think was NO WAY!  This was the exact same taxi driver I had just four hours before.  I was shocked...however, due to the crazy amount of flirting going on by the taxi driver, I couldn't get in a word to tell Karen this fabulous development.  I shouldn't have worried though.  Halfway through our ride (which I'm pretty sure I could have walked faster through...he was really enjoying flirting too much to drive), he turned around and in Chinese told me "I drove you into town earlier.  But not with this girl...with another one.  She had long brown hair..." He went on and on.  He told me all about our ride earlier in the day.  When I laughingly confirmed this fact to both him and Karen, he smacked his head and said "Oh my God!" in perfect English.  He then turned back to Karen and continued to flirt.  One street before we got home, he pulled the car over, pulled his phone out of his pocket, and asked Karen for her number.  Poor thing gave it to him...yes, he has already texted her...in fact, he texted her within five minutes of us getting home. 
What a fun way to spend a taxi ride home! Sorry, Karen.  Oh, and there was an added perk.  I understood everything that was said in the conversation tonight!  Usually I'm stuck within the first five minutes and they give up trying to get me to understand, but tonight, I made it through all 20ish minutes of Chinese.  So either my Chinese is improving or he knows how to speak foreigner Chinese.  I'm going to go with the former and feel good about all the hours I struggle through Chinese lessons. What a fabulous day it has been!

No comments:

Post a Comment