Monday, November 14, 2011

Looking for Prince Charming

When I was a little girl, I ready fairy tales and watch movies where Prince Charming starred as the hero.  As a little girl I dreamed about one day being rescued by a handsome man who just happened to live in a big castle and ride a beautiful white horse.  The other girls around me dreamed similar dreams of being whisked off into "happily ever after." As I and the other girls of my generation have grown, we have realized that Prince Charming is just about as real as Santa Claus.  He is nice bedtime story to give us sweet dreams, but not so good for reality.  We are looking for something more realistic.
As I have grown older, I have become more and more independent.  The American culture is teaching girls how to take care of themselves.  Despite all this cultural training, I have to say, that the dream of being cared for has never died.  Deep down every single girl out there, whether younger, older, tomboy, girly-girl, independent, or dependent, we all still want someone to come rescue us.  Someone to hold us when we are tired, scared, or just don't want to be strong any more.
I have to say though, since our generation (and the previous generation) have discovered that Prince Charming is not real, we have developed a new modern day Prince Charming.  His persona is that of the superhero.  Tonight I sat watching the newly released Captain America with a friend and we kept commenting on how handsome he was, how cool it would be if a guy was that strong and what it would be like to have that guy want you.  I realized then that "Prince Charming" still exists, he is just stronger now because the girls who wanted Prince Charming now want someone stronger.  Someone who truly can save them. 
Now, here is where I tell you that the reason for this deep desire for Prince Charming is because we need the Father to rescue us.  The desire to be rescued is Him calling to us and bringing us to Himself.  He is the true Prince Charming.  THANK YOU FATHER! I am so happy to tell you that even our recent shift in our view of who our hero is, the Father still fits the bill.  He is stronger than any superhero, he can top all of us in the wits department, he has no secret/hidden weakness, loves us more than a knight come to rescue us, he has a whole universe and more (makes the castle pale in comparison), and he even has a white horse (see Revelation).  I am so excited to be wooed by the only true superhero and Prince Charming that exists.  And while I wait for him to arrive to whisk me off on his white stead to his faraway kingdom, I'm going to keep dreaming of and preparing for the day when he finally comes.
And while I wait for my true Prince Charming, I'm going to try to give the males on this planet a break.  They will never be THE Prince Charming, but they can reflect who He is and that is a very very beautiful and attractive thing.  So thank you to the boys who try to be like the Father.  I hope I have the privilege of having one of you love me someday. :)

2 comments:

  1. This is really interesting... because I read this to our mother yesterday morning and thought, "Oh, cool. I'm glad she's experiencing this." Then it began to sink in, along with God guiding my heart away from what I originally wanted in regards to the person I've had feelings for for quite some time now. I've begin to understand that, though the Father has filled the void in my life where a father figure is concerned, I never really considered him my love in the romantic sense. I want Him to woo me too. I want to be satisfied in my singleness, for in it I am never truly alone.

    Thanks, Aims.

    ReplyDelete