Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Chinese Cake? Or Is It?

I hate Chinese cakes.  Every time I am confronted with one that I have to eat, I force it down as quickly as possible. 
So, what is Chinese cake like and why do I hate it so much?  Imagine a yummy chocolate cake.  Do you have it?  Now reduce the amount of chocolate and sugar by half.  Then cover that cake in two very thick layers of whipped cream...also again with almost no sugar.  Then take that rather unsweet cake and cover it in unsweetened, often times tart, fruit.  And I don't mean a few pieces.  I mean the layer between the two pieces of cake is completely full of fruit and the top of the cake is layered in fruit as well.  Let me just tell you that the effect isn't unpleasant, but it isn't really good either.
Today a friend emailed us to say that there was extra cake in the teacher's lounge from a birthday party.  What compelled me?  I have NO idea, but I went up for a piece.  It was just as unsatisfying as I thought it would be.  While I was there another foreigner and a Chinese staff member walked in.  I told them that there was Chinese cake there to eat.  The Chinese staff member looked shocked.  She said, "Chinese cake?  That isn't Western cake?"  We both stared at each other shocked for several seconds.  I suddenly realized that the horrible cake I had been eating for four years was actually China's version of Western cake.  We kept talking and I discovered that not only did I hate the cake, but the Chinese staff members hate the cake too.  I'm not sure why I found the whole situation amusing, but I'm still laughing.  I think I might keep laughing every time I eat the cake after this.  Here's to the Chinese versions of Western things.  They don't always turn out right...I guess we do the same thing to their Chinese food.

1 comment:

  1. That is spectacular. Although, I must say, I really like the fruit and whipped cream cakes. I can hardly eat a full piece of cake when it's homemade anymore. Unless it's got cream cheese. Then I'm all OVER that cake!! :D

    ReplyDelete