Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving Cheer Abroad

Today I had my fifth Thanksgiving in China.  Every year but one I have had the privilege of celebrating this holiday.  I have always loved Thanksgivings, but they seem even more special in China.  Please don't think that this means I don't miss my family.  I do.  My heart is aching just a little right now to be with them, but not having there here has become easier because it's normal to miss them and I'll be with them again soon.
So to give you a taste of what my Thanksgiving looked like this year, I want to, fir just a minute, take you on a walk in my Thanksgiving shoes. 
It begins two weeks before Thanksgiving.  A Chinese friend says she has found turkeys (they are only available for about one month a year) and we need to order them now to make sure we get ours.  A week later I pick up my turkey from her home.  My nineteen pound turkey costs about $60.  The turkey is so big (or my fridge is so small) that it takes up about half of my refrigerator which is it's home for the next several days.
On Thursday morning, I wake up and go to school.  Yes, I work on Thanksgiving every year.  Half way through the school day the kids go home and I have meetings for the rest of the day.  I finally get home around 5pm and eat Chinese dumplings for dinner.  But don't worry, it doesn't bother me.  I don't even feel like it's Thanksgiving.  I'm going to celebrate on Saturday so I feel like the holiday hasn't come yet.
Friday morning I have no school so after sleeping in until 9am (3.5 hours later than normal), I call my family.  They have just finished eating Thanksgiving dinner and I talk to them for a couple of hours before getting up to begin cooking for the next day.  During the course of the day I make a carrot cake, homemade eggnog, and a loaf of bread. 
On Saturday morning a friend (who wanted to cook the turkey way more than I did) came over, did wonderful magical things to the turkey, and put it in the oven.  An hour later (around 11) my friends started coming over.  Dinner was beginning at 5pm and friends slowly but steadily arrived to cook food, spend time together, watch movies, grade, and spend time together. 
5pm finally arrived and by then about 25 people were in my home.  There was so much food on the table and counters that we brought down a friend's table to handle the overflow.  So much wonderful food!  I'll be honest and tell you I made three trips to the table and one over to the desserts.  I was stuffed.  Then the true fun began.  We started talking and laughing together.
As we spent more and more time together I was reminded of how unique and wonderful this experience was.  There were Americans and at least 6 other nationalities in my home celebrating together.  People in America always like to ask me if I miss home and if I miss my family.  The answer to those questions is sometimes I miss America.  Some days I miss it more than others.  And, of course I miss my family.  But what they don't realize is America isn't my home anymore.  China is.  And I have an adoptive family that I love and who loves me back.  It's so hard to feel lonely when you are so surrounded by people you never thought you would have the privilege of knowing and loving.
So my dear friends in America, China and all around the world, I love you.  I am thankful for you.  I don't know what I would do without you.  You are what makes the place I live my home.  Thank you so much for being a part of my life.
Ok, I'm done being sappy now. :)  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment