Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Hardest Part About Being In America

Everyone always gets so excited when I'm coming to America.  They are so excited that I am coming "home."  I tell people often that my home is in China.  I do love America though.  However, it is very hard for me to be here in America.  There are several things that are hard...culture shock (yes, I have culture shock in America) and being away from China are both very hard for me, but the hardest thing is that most people don't really know how to relate to me anymore.  
I live in a foreign country and it has changed me so much.  When I come to America that makes me and my life foreign and weird to people in America.  People don't really know what to do or say or ask about.  This is compounded by the fact that I really struggle talking about myself.  I love it when people ask questions.  (If you need some ideas for questions to ask, I've written a bunch at the bottom of the post...just to get you going.)  I know that if you haven't been to China it is hard to understand my life, my passion for it, and well anything about it.  However, PLEASE ask anyway.  It makes me feel loved when you want to know and when you listen to what I have to say.  Honestly, nothing hurts more than visiting with someone who  never or very rarely asks me what my life is like.  It feels like you don't care about me or my life...even though I know you don't intend it that way.
So, my wonderful America friends, please help me combat my homesickness by asking me about the place I love so much.  It will help me feel better and hopefully you'll understand a little bit of my love for China and my life there because of it.  And just so you know, I would LOVE to have some of you come visit me someday.  Thank you so much to those of you who already have.
Questions you can ask me about China...
Please don’t ask:
·      So how’s China?
·      So what’s China like?
o   I have NO idea how to answer these questions.  Can you be more specific?  And please listen and respond if you ask a question.  I really want you to understand and I really want to share my life with you.

Please try:
·      About China
o   What are the Chinese people like?
o   What is the coolest thing about living in China?
o   What is the hardest thing about living in China?
o   What is it like to go shopping?
o   What is it like to go grocery shopping?
o   How do you get around?
o   How do you pay your bills?
o   What kinds of fruits and vegetables do you eat in China that you didn’t eat in America?
o   Where do you live in China? How big is your city?
o   Do you like living on the coast?
o   What is the weather like?
o   Does your city have bad pollution?
·      About School
o   Tell me about your school?
o   What is your class/classroom like?
o   What are the people you work with like?
o   What is it like to work with TCK’s? (Or what is a TCK?)
o   What nationalities have you taught?
o   Do you teach in English?  What is the curriculum like?
o   What is the best thing that happened in the class this year?
o   What was the hardest thing that happened in your class this year?
o   What is your favorite subject to teach?
o   What is your least favorite subject to teach?
·      About travel
o   What places have you traveled to? 
o   What is your favorite place you have been?
o   Have you been to the Great Wall, Xi’an, etc.?
o   What is your favorite activity you did on a vacation since moving to China?
·      Learning Chinese
o   Can you say something in Chinese for me?
o   Is learning Chinese hard?
o   How often do you study Chinese?
o   Are you fluent?
o   Can you read Chinese characters?
·      About Living in China
o   How long do you plan to stay in China?
o   How do you know God wants you in China?
o   Is it hard to live in China?
o   Is home in America or China?
o   What do you miss about America?  What do you not miss about America?
o   What are you missing about China? What are you not missing about China?
o   What is wonderful about visiting America?  What is hard about visiting America?
o   What is the best thing that has happened to you since you moved to China?
o   What is the hardest thing that has happened to you since you moved to China?
o   What is your apartment like?  Do you have roommates?
o   Tell me about your friends?
o   What do you do for fun?
o   What is your favorite thing to eat?  Have you eaten anything weird?
o   Why do you want to keep living in China?
·      Keeping in touch
o   How can I pray for you? 
o   Can we stay in contact? 
o   Will you keep me updated on your life? 

3 comments:

  1. I have had people ask me "how is China?" in the past, and I know exactly how you feel; it is a bit like saying "tell me all about music" - where do I start?!
    (BTW - for those of you that aren't Amy or know me, I am the music teacher of another local International school; hence the music comment!)

    The only answer I have ever really been able to give to "how is China?" is simple - China is... Chinese.
    Oh, and by the way, your friends in China miss you just as much as you miss it!

    PS - what IS the best thing that has happened to you since you moved to China?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, friend! And a great list of questions that are practical and can keep conversation going. :) Happy America'ing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you. Sam, the best things...well, I would probably have to say getting to know and love such a wonderful group of people. How many people get to have such a wonderful adoptive family? :)

    ReplyDelete