Monday, August 1, 2011

Such a Great Weekend

This last weekend was so very full and so very fun.  On Saturday morning I joined a rather large group that went to TaiDong.  TaiDong is an absolutely huge shopping area.  It's had to explain to someone who hasn't seen it or been in China.  It's blocks and blocks wide and you can get anything you can imagine there.  There are whole streets dedicated to selling specific merchandise, there is a Wal-mart, tailors, food, and more.  On Saturday some friends and I went to kitchen street and plant street.  Since I've been here for three full years now, I view TaiDong like a job.  It's a get in, get what you need, get out kind of place.  This Saturday however, we took our new staff with us.  Being with them was like seeing the whole area through new eyes.  I started looking again.  I saw things I have never seen before.  I went into stores that I had never cared enough to go into and I realized I was missing a lot.  It was fun.  It was also very hot and we had some very heavy stuff.  Thank God that our principal was willing to drive us out in the school's van.  We would never have fit everything in a taxi. :)
That night I had my upstairs neighbors over for dinner and later more friends came over and we watched an episode of Psych and demolished most of a pan of Monkey Bread. (YUM!)  I may have also gotten sucked into a book after they left that I had to finish and finally did around midnight.
Sunday felt almost as full as Saturday.  We went to fellowship in the morning where I heard one of the best message I've heard in ages...It's still turning over and over in my brain and I think it will for quite a while.  (I may share it with you later if you don't mind.)  After fellowship it was off to lunch, to the grocery store, chilling at Starbucks for a little while, then over to a friend's house to watch the Godfather. 
I've never seen the Godfather before, but it's such a well known movie that I felt like I should.  I have to honestly say that I'm glad I watched it, but I didn't like it enough to ever watch it again.  Some friends and I ditched after the first movie (they were starting the second) and went back to our side of town and watched the first Harry Potter together.  That I enjoyed...especially since my friend has the most amazing couch and I was falling asleep under a warm blanket while watching a well loved movie.  The end of the day couldn't have been any better. 
So dear friends, my weekend was full of new friends, new perspectives, a kick-butt (at least it is kicking my butt) lesson from my Father, and fun times with good friends.  It couldn't have been better, but now the introvert in me is screaming for some time alone so I'm going to be lazy this morning.  I'll go back to social butterfly this afternoon.  After all...summer is over for us teachers on Thursday...but that means the fun is just beginning! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment