Tuesday, August 16, 2011

When Cultures Intersect

One of my favorite things about living in China and working at my school is our staff.  Though most of us are American, we all together come from at least seven different countries.  When I first moved to China, I thought the intermixing of these cultures would be stressful, but I have never found that to actually be the case.  I have learned so much from so many different people.

I have learned how to enjoy a proper scone and Australian football from my Aussie friends. 
I have learned how to enjoy a perfect cup of tea and how to say "brilliant" British words like "cheers" from my South African friends. 
I have learned how to appreciate good, spicy food and learned how to respect others from my Korean friends. 
I have learned how amazing Indian food is and how to properly eat it from my Indian friends. 
I have learned that Christmas music is acceptable in any of the -ber months and how to properly eat a mango (and how to say it) from my Filipino friends. 
I have learned about places in the US I have never been to, things I have never seen, and food I have never eaten from my American friends. 
I have learned to survive and thrive in China because of my Chinese friends.  
From my students and some of our staff, I have learned about the TCK culture.  (TCK's are Third Culture Kids.  Kids that grew up outside their home countries.) 

I cannot tell you honestly that every moment in China has been wonderful or even good, but I will tell you this.  I love my job and I love the people I get to work with even more.  They have opened my eyes to the world and how it works.  I can no longer imagine where I would be without them.
Thanks for being my multicultural friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment